Five Tips to Stay Productive While Staying Home
Updated: Sep 26, 2019
Being an entrepreneur is such a journey and such a beautiful adventure. Especially in the very beginning when you are figuring it all out. I feel like that is what business really has been so far, a collection of figuring it out.
Before I launched my business, I was used to the typical 8-4:30 p.m. work schedule. I also had a job where I worked miscellaneous days at very random times, sometimes it was 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and sometimes I worked 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. When I transitioned into being an entrepreneur, I really learned how to choose a schedule for my business that worked for me.
That is my first BIG advice for those who are entrepreneurs or are hoping to be. We see people on Instagram and their daily routines, but sometimes those routines are not for everyone. Being an entrepreneur and choosing your schedule is such an exciting part of this journey, tune into yourself first to see what you need. For me, for instance, my creativity comes at night- and I am talking about like 2 a.m. kind of night. So for me, if I plan to work into the evening, I make sure I eat a healthy dinner to have the energy to work, I take a break to exercise so I don’t stare at the screen too long and I let myself sleep 8 hours regardless of when I went to bed, so I can be energized and well rested the next day to do it again.
Some other tangible tips I have for staying productive while staying home include-
1. Make your Bed- Being at home, sometimes you can let chores slide. Your house isn’t like an office in the sense that if it is messy, everyone will see it. But just because no one will see your “office”, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep it clean. By having a clean space, you will have more head space and clarity to stay organized and focused throughout your work day. Also, by starting with an easy chore like making your bed, you can’t get back into it and you are already starting your day on a productive note.
2. Eat the Frog- I mentioned this on my Instagram but essentially this means doing the hardest thing first. If you start your day with the hardest thing to do, or the task you are the most reluctant to do, then every task after will seem easy. If you ate the frog, there is nothing else you cannot do.
3. Find a Playlist- Finding a playlist to listen to as background music is also like choosing a schedule that works for you. You have to try a few different playlists to see what helps you stay focused or which ones turn your work day into a distracted karaoke session! My favorite work playlist I let play in the background that keeps me energized and focused is Payton Sartain’s Spotify playlist: Work Week | Hustle and Halcyon.
4. Time Batching- I will link an amazing blog post here from the queen who created time batching herself, but time batching is a way to allow you to be the most productive version. If you randomly focus on different tasks, it can make you less productive because you are focusing on too much and transitioning too much at once. A great example is, scheduling all of your work calls in one afternoon, so you don’t have to keep stopping what you are doing throughout the week to go on a call.
5. Mindfully Creating- This is another morning tip but it is beneficial to practice throughout your day and really is SUCH an easy practice. All you need to do to be mindful and fully present while creating throughout your work day is to take 2 minutes to shut your door, close your eyes, and take deep breaths. But while you breathe, focus on the sounds of the room and the temperate of your breath. If your mind wanders, gently bring it back to focusing on your breath. This is such a great practice because it helps you start your day and continue your day with less stress, less anxiety, and more calm presence to really show up as your best self throughout you work day, from your office and your home. Here is an additional resource about how to practice mindful meditation.
I hope you loved these tips and get the chance to apply them to your own workday. What tips do you have for staying productive while working from home??